Pages

10.20.2005

What Not to Wear

Have you ever watched the tv show--"What Not to Wear"?

I generally hate television. I don't like to watch it much at all...mostly because I have this nasty habit of eating incessantly whenever I watch tv...and it's easier to not watch than to try to break the habit. (Gee, this is starting to sound like a therapy session. --sorry.)

Anyway, somewhere along the way, I accidentally watched this fashion advice show called "What Not to Wear". Now I find myself strangely drawn to it...and I have no idea why.

This show is so totally not me. I would die before spending $300 on a skirt. There's just no way I could do it. The show gives the makeover recipient a "budget" of $5ooo to spend on a new wardrobe...after the advisors rip to shreds the makeover recipient's current clothing choices. Really. They are brutally honest. Admitantly, some of the clothing choices are pretty pathetic...like I am one to talk. Anyway, they ambush the person who's been nominated by her supposed friends for a makeover and new wardrobe. They wisk her away to New York and educate her on what she should be wearing. Then they send her shopping on the 5K. She gets a new hairdo, new makeup and then goes home for "the big reveal" to her friends and family.

Do you know that a clothing budget of 5K in Nashville TN goes a whole lot further than 5K in New York? Is a $300 skirt really that much better than a $50 skirt? Really? And shoes...are $350 shoes really that much more classy than $40 shoes?? I just don't think so.

I've learned a thing or two by watching the show. Lines, colors, body shaping...but mostly...don't go clothes shopping in New York.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Seriously, of all the places to buy a new wardrobe, NY is one of the least cost effective :) They should take them to Old Navy or somewhere. Think of all they could get for their money!

Carrie Anne said...

I LOVE that show and I've learned so much, like you, from that show. I love when they are in the room with the three way mirror. It cracks me up!