Pages

8.19.2005

Hi Daniel and Dubb!

Well, it's a good thing I've been on my best behavior here at the blog page. I found out today that my oldest younger brother and my best and only sister have been keeping an eye on it. Waving to Daniel and Deborah, affectionately referred to in my house as Unca Daniel and Unca Dubbie!

Heard the darndest thing while the boys were watching PBS today. An advertisement for PNC Financial, one of the sponsors of Sesame Street was touting it's "Grow Up Great" campaign with this slogan:

"Kids who are ready for school are ready for life."

Um...no. They aren't "ready for life". Apparently PFC has thrown one hundred million of it's dollars into this "ready for school" campaign, in an effort to begin preapreing children for education and educating before they even reach school age. In theory, maybe this sounds like a positive plan, but upon closer inspection, it looks suspiciously like another coporate effort to "handle and harrass" our children from the moment of birth.

I'm going to do some more reading about this but on the outset it reeks of the trend of thinking in American (liberal) academia that parents aren't capable or they shouldn't be bothered. By all means, let's leave child rearing and education preparations to the professionals. Yeah, that's the ticket.

(Gag!)

On a more scrappy note...I had a chance to run down to Hobby Lobby tonight. Found the Making Memories Cosmopolitan Collection Papers for half price. Pale blues, chocolate rowns and buttery yellows! Now that's yummy! I'm making cards tonight!!

Happy Saturday!!

2 comments:

Carla said...

Do you think that people will ever learn that sometimes kids just need to be kids?? Planning and education just seem to start earlier and earlier. And many parents just keep pushing it off to others to raise their children. Oops! I think I jumped on my soap box again! I'm right there with you. I would love to know what else you find out!

Carla said...

Do you think that people will ever learn that sometimes kids just need to be kids?? Planning and education just seem to start earlier and earlier. And many parents just keep pushing it off to others to raise their children. Oops! I think I jumped on my soap box again! I'm right there with you. I would love to know what else you find out!