Pages

5.04.2006

You know what they say about one man's trash...

You know what "they" say about one man's trash, right?

That old saying ..."one man's trash is likely to end up in my Jeep..."

Today was apparently my lucky day. On the way to get a Sonic drink (water for me, Diet Sprite for the boys) we passed a house with a heap of trash in the driveway. In it were 3 large old (some would say "vintage") wood-frame windows. I'm pretty sure I gasped out loud when I saw them.

Windows in the trash.

I want a window!! I have been wanting a window for decor for eons. It's for moments just like this that I drive a Jeep. Stop on a dime and load up the back.

But could I really just take someone elses property? Hmm. I've always heard that trash is fair game.
But.
Darn...looks like the owners are home. You know this rubs my shy bone the wrong way. Feels intrusive.

But I *need* that window--the one in the trash heap.

I call my friend Heather for confirmation. She confirms that yes, if it's on the curb in the trash heap, it's fair game. Bless her for permission. LOL!

There were three. I took one. Each pane is about 16" square. One pane is missing but can be easily replaced for a few dollars. I can't wait to get started on this project.

Oh, by the way, if you see my son in the near future and he tells you that mommy stole a window...don't take him seriously. I have spent the rest of the day trying to explain that it's OK to recover items from the trash on the curb and not be guilty of stealing but I don't think it's sinking in yet. Poor guy thinks he's an accomplice to his mother's criminal activity. :)

Happy trash-collecting Thursday!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH NO ! ! You only took ONE ?!?! I've been looking for "vintage" windows FOREVER!!! Please e-mail me if you're going to go by there again... maybe I could pay you to ship them? I'm a freak, I know... but that's how desperate I've been for them!! I'm at Cropqueenie@yahoo.com - thanks!! :)