Pages

12.26.2006

Listen to Journal

One of the many reasons that Simple Scrapbooks is one of the scrap magazines I enjoy is that the articles get right to the point of scrapbooking. In the current issue (Jan 2007) Rachel Gainer encourages readers in the "Write from the Heart" column by saying that "one way to become a better writer is to spend more time listening. Every conversation you participate in has the potential to inspire a great story--you just have to pay attention."

I admit, it was the fresh clean layout that drew me in, but it was the content that really got me involved.

(The layout, by the way, is by a pea, Margaret Scarbrough. If you want to see more of her fantastic work, her blog is here or check out her gallery.)

I have two examples of journaling that came from listening in the works, and I must say, it's been incredibly interesting to listen to most every conversation for potential layout ideas. (More on that later.)


My scrap night friends will recognize the photo on this layout as one that I've been struggling with for months. I knew what I wanted it to say, but I couldn't commit to a title that worked. I think I may have settled on a title several times, but it wasn't *right* so I never finished the LO. It's just been hanging around my space for a while now.

Until I started listening.

{Supplies: Patterned paper-Scenic Route and Crate Paper, Chipboard Letters-Heidi Swapp, Screwhead brads-Karen Foster Designs, Felt flowers-Prima (I think), Vellum-unknown, font-Palatino Linotype, ink-Panger Inks, Date Stamp-Jenni Bowlin}

Happy Listening Tuesday!

No comments: